Search The Best Scottish Search Engine

Custom Search

Best Scottish Ancestry Research

Sunday 26 August 2007

Best Scottish Songs Broom Of The Cowdenknowes

Broom of Cowdenknowes is one of my favourite Scottish songs. I recall when I first heard it, many years ago, at St Andrews Folk Club. It was sung wonderfully well by Andy M. Stewart. As with many Scottish songs, this song describes a banishment.

How blithe each morn was I tae see
My lass came o'er the hill.
She skipped the burn and ran tae me,
I met her with good will.

O the broom, the bonnie, bonnie broom
The broom o' the cowdenknowes.
Fain would I be in the north country
Herding her father's ewes.

We neither herded ewes nor lamb
While the flock near us lay.
She gathered in the sheep at night
And cheered me all the day.

Hard fate that I should banished be
Gone way o'er hill and moor,
Because I loved the fairest lass
That ever yet was born.

Adieu, ye cowdenknowes, adieu.
Farewell all pleasures there
To wander by her side again
Is all I crave or care.

Meaning of Scottish words:
tae = to
burn = small stream
fain = loving

Download Scottish Music.

No comments: